The Truth About Quartz: Debunking Common Myths About Quartz Countertops

Quartz is a beautiful and functional countertop material that has gained popularity over the last decade. With its wide variety of available colors and patterns, there is a quartz brand and color that will work for almost any project. However, with its vast popularity comes misinformation and confusion. Here are a few myths about quartz countertops that we can debunk!

Myth 1: Quartz is Plastic & Not Natural Stone

One of the most common minerals in Earth’s crust is quartz. Natural quartz has a chemical makeup of silica and is found in igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rock forms. To produce quartz slabs, this mineral is mined, crushed, mixed with resin and color, and formed into slabs. Most quartz slabs are made up of at least 90% natural stone. The remaining 10% is the resin that binds the materials, and the pigments that give the slabs their patterns and colors.

Myth 2: Quartz is Indestructible & Heat Resistant

Quartz slabs are a very durable material option for interior countertop projects. However, because the color in quartz is engineered, it can fade if installed outdoors in direct sunlight. The resin that binds the materials in quartz slabs is not as heat-resistant as the natural quartz mineral.Because of this, prolonged or extreme temperatures can expand that resin and cause quartz countertops to crack. Countertop appliances such as crockpots with heating elements can expand the resins over a few hours and be a common cause of quartz countertops cracking. At Evolution Design, we provide a cutting board that can be used as a trivet to protect the stone from heat. Due to these heat durability matters, it is not recommended to use quartz on a fireplace.

Myth 3: Quartz Needs to be Sealed to Protect from Staining

Because of the intensive molding and curing process quartz slabs undergo in creation, they are non-porous. This non-porous nature makes quartz slabs stain-resistant, and they do not require any sealing. The natural quartz mineral is very strong and can often hold onto metals from knives or other kitchen utensils, which will show up as scuffs on light-colored quartz. However, these scuffs are just on the surface and not actual stains in the stone. They can be cleaned off the surface with a natural stone cleaner and a soft rag.

Myth 4: Quartz Installs are the Same as Granite Installs

In most installations, quartz seams may be visible and can typically be felt. However, when installed by Evolution Design, seams will be tight and flat because joints are drummed laser straight by our state-of-the-art CNC technology. When selecting slabs, book-matched slabs will flow best because the natural pattern of the stone can be aligned. Seams are generally more visible with solid colors than with colors that have more variation.

Myth 5: Magic Erasers are Safe for Quartz Countertops

Quartz is simple to care for and maintain. Keep stone looking its best by cleaning it with a pH-neutral cleaner, warm soapy water, EvoOxy, or a product that is safe for natural stone. Avoid bleach and harsh abrasives, including magic erasers. These products can dull the finish and create a flat spot in the sheen.

Myth 6: Textured Quartz is as Durable as Polished

Textured countertops provide a natural, organic feel that is both rugged and beautiful. Most quartz manufacturers offer colors in these textured finishes. However, any finish other than polished is prone to scratching and absorbing. While quartz typically does not require sealing, we recommend sealing textured quartz surfaces as an added layer of protection. While sealing will help decrease the scratching and absorption, it will not eliminate it. By understanding the realities of quartz countertops, you can make informed decisions for your next project. Trust Evolution Design to provide the best in quality and installation for your quartz countertop needs.